Bodybuilding Diet. Watch your protein, carbs and fats for the ultimate workout, muscle gain diet. This should be fairly obvious, but if you want to build a muscular physique, you need to eat a proper diet. Stick to a sensible eating routine and your workouts will be more effective and efficient.
This should be fairly obvious, but if you want to build a muscular physique, you need to eat a proper diet. Stick to a sensible eating routine and your workouts will be more effective and efficient.
Whether you’re new to muscle training or are already a lean, mean muscle of mass, one of the most important things to think about is your diet. A low fat, high protein diet should be part of your every-day eating regime, preferably supplemented by a diet whey protein.
Strength and muscle training is, perhaps, the single best thing you can do for increased energy and the effectiveness and longevity of your exercise. However, without providing the proper fuel for your workout, your bodybuilding progress will be slow at best.
It’s important that you eat regularly throughout the day – eat roughly every three to four hours to keep your metabolism steady and fueled. This regularity of intake helps with muscle synthesis and fat burning. General ‘best practise’ is to eat five or six high protein, low fat meals each day, to avoid that “hitting the wall” feeling. Each day, eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, another snack and dinner. On a bodybuilding diet, you are burning calories quickly, make sure you feed your workout routine!
You can have a cheat meal once a week, but it shouldn’t be a cheat day or weekend. This will only derail your progress and leave you feeling sluggish.
Your intake of protein, carbs and fats should roughly follow these rules:
- Eat between 1 and 2 grams of protein per pound of your bodyweight. Aim towards eating around 25 to 30 grams of protein (6-8 oz) at each meal. Quality proteins like grass-fed beef, wild caught salmon, organic turkey and chicken, eggs, whey and casein protein powders, shrimp, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are all great options.
- Keep your daily intake of carbohydrates to between 150 to 250 grams each day. Complex carbs like sweet potatoes/yams, brown rice, sprouted grain breads, oats, beans, quinoa, and whole grain pastas are all excellent choices. They fuel your body, digest slowly and will be utilized for energy.
- East simple carbs. Simple carbs are great for post workout and help recovery, providing fast absorption for muscle growth. Fruit, white rice and white potatoes are all good for this – alongside a post-workout supplement.
- Healthy fats. Fats should fall somewhere between 65 to 85 grams a day. Avocados, natural nut butters, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and egg yolks are all healthy fats that should be part of your meal plan. Good fats give you energy and are utilized for fuel not storage.
- Vegetables, particularly green ones. All vegetables aid in digestion and give quality fiber to keep your intestinal tract functioning smoothly.
- Water. Lots of water. Consume at least half your bodyweight in water. Avoid sugary drinks and diet sodas.
Try following these simple steps for just 4 weeks and your energy levels should be far greater, enabling better workouts and providing better results! A major component in your clean eating, muscle-building diet.
Whey Protein as Part of your Bodybuilding Diet
There are many foods which will provide you with the protein you need, egg whites, meat – white meat like chicken and turkey plus lean red meat, fish – salmon, tuna, trout are great sources of protein, beans and, of course, whey protein. Whey protein gives you a concentrated boost of protein, easy to make, easy to drink, the fuel you need to succeed!